I know that protecting the environment and fighting climate change is a critically important topic to you and I share the passion and commitment to immediate action and progressive change. I want you to know that I have never lost sight of the importance of this issue.
Since being elected, I have continuously advocated for stronger climate action. In March, I hosted an in-person consultation on climate change just before the pandemic hit. That discussion focused on how our government should move forward to achieve the necessary changes to address the climate crisis with the immediacy needed. I have also met with many community members, youth, local and national organizations, and all levels of government on climate action. I am consistently inspired and impressed with the dedication of Whitby’s young people and families on this issue, as well as, ideas and input that I’ve continually received and passed along to Cabinet.
I am pleased to update you that the Government recently tabled Bill C-12, “An Act respecting transparency and accountability in Canada’s efforts to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by the year 2050.”
This legislation is the fulfillment of a key campaign commitment from the 2019 election and I am pleased to see the government moving forward with this accountability legislation. Enshrining our net-zero emissions targets into law is a vital step to bind both our government and future governments to prioritize the environment and reducing emissions.
The Act will do the following:
- Legally bind the Government and future generations to a process to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.
- Set rolling five-year emissions-reduction targets and require plans to reach each one and report on progress.
- Establish the Net-Zero Advisory Body to provide independent advice to the Government on the best pathway to reach its targets.
- Require the Government of Canada to publish an annual report describing how departments and crown corporations are considering the financial risks and opportunities of climate change in their decision-making.
- Enshrine greater accountability and public transparency into Canada’s plan for meeting net-zero emissions by 2050.
- Provide for independent third-party review by the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development to ensure accountability for all future governments.
As you know, countries around the world are accelerating their transition to a net-zero economy, and Canada cannot fall behind. In fact, I strongly believe we must lead the way! We must seize the economic opportunities that climate action presents and provide the world with the cleanest, greenest, and most cutting-edge innovations – not just now, but for decades to come. Net-zero is not just a plan for a healthier environment; it’s a plan to build a cleaner, more competitive and sustainable economy.
I look forward to continuing to advocate on progressive climate action.
As always, I appreciate your feedback and input and will continue to listen and respond to your comments and suggestions. Please call my office at 905-665-8182 or respond to this email with any comments or concerns.